GFI Report Details Top 10 Threat Detections for January 2012 - M86 Security Report: Spam Down, Sophisticated Attacks Up
(Page 2 of 2 )
M86 Security Report: Spam Down, Sophisticated Attacks Up
M86 Security released its bi-annual M86 Security Labs Report, which covers the second half of 2011. While the report’s findings of spam reaching its lowest volume in four years is promising, details of a significant increase in overall cybercrime via social media, malicious email attachments, and highly targeted attacks offer plenty of reasons for concern.
M86’s analysis of web and email threats for the last half of 2011 revealed the following key findings:
• Social media has become a cybercriminal playground, as they can leverage user trust to successfully execute scams. Fraudulent posts promising exclusive content, free gifts, and more have increased, and social networking members are being used to unknowingly share the scams amongst their friends.
• Overall spam decreased, but the proportion of spam containing malicious attachments and infected links grew from under 1 percent to 5 percent.
• The Blackhole exploit kit has become the leader in its class, and its authors have redesigned it to better evade detection.
• The use of stolen or fake digital certificates is on the rise, helping cybercriminals dupe unsuspecting users into downloading malware.
• Sophisticated targeted attacks have increased. Hackers are targeting critical national infrastructure, commercial organizations, and military targets, with Lockheed Martin and RSA being just two examples of confirmed attacks from 2011.
Bradley Anstis, VP of technical strategy for M86 Security, said, “We already know that cybercriminals have become adept at circumventing mainstream security solutions, and as we find more fraud perpetrated through social networking sites and mobile devices, it is imperative for organizations to educate their users and complement their reactive protection with proactive, real-time technologies to enhance their security posture.”
For more on this topic, visit http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-m86-security-labs-report-reveals-spread-of-malware-growing-via-social-media-targeted-attacks-and-exploit-kits-2012-02-08
| DISCLAIMER: The content provided in this article is not warranted or guaranteed by Developer Shed, Inc. The content provided is intended for entertainment and/or educational purposes in order to introduce to the reader key ideas, concepts, and/or product reviews. As such it is incumbent upon the reader to employ real-world tactics for security and implementation of best practices. We are not liable for any negative consequences that may result from implementing any information covered in our articles or tutorials. If this is a hardware review, it is not recommended to open and/or modify your hardware. |