Set Up and Encrypt Your First Wireless Network at Home - Hardware Setup
(Page 2 of 3 )
Before you can worry about setting up the software, your hardware needs to be set up. While you will find a set of generic instructions here, you should always consult your user manual, just in case your hardware requires some minor variations. In most cases, though, your setup procedure will be as follows:
1. Make sure that you have Internet service running.
2. Turn off the system, just in case.
3. Unplug your modem from your PC.
4. Take the cord from the wall (still plugged in) and connect it to the modem. Consult your manual for the correct port.
5. Use your second card to connect your router to your modem again using your manual to find the correct port.
6. Connect the router to the computer with a third cable. Put in the cord from the computer.
Now that the hardware is set up, it is time to move on to the software. We will be looking at the software instructions for the maker of some of the most popular wireless routers that are on the market -- at least in the USA. If you have a different router maker, then you will need to find the instructions on the manufacturer's site. On the bright side, these instructions should work for most, if not all, wireless models that are put out by Linksys, which is a fairly wide variety of models.
More Web Hosting How-Tos Articles
More By Katie Gatto