Dedicated Web Hosting: The Executive Summary - Benefits
(Page 3 of 4 )
Benefits: The direct benefits of a dedicated web hosting plan surround the ability to totally administer a web server. The advantage to be able to effectively maintain a dedicated server lies in one's ability to control the variables associated with reliability and stability. In a dedicated environment, server overload, malicious scripts from other users, and too many installed applications are variables which can be controlled, as compared to this loss of management in shared server hosting.
Furthermore, a dedicated server allows one to only install applications or software that applies to the major hosting goal at hand. Conversely, shared web hosting has installed software that may or may not be related to the web hosting goals.
Reliance on the web host repair services and time delays of platform repairs can be minimized, as one may intervene and provide solutions to existing problems with dedicated web hosting. Having the option to add patches, upgrade software, or tweak performance is invaluable and allows the dedicated server administrator to work with 24 hour access to perform adjustments, corrections, or updates.
Lastly, speed of downloads can be determined through the amount of bandwidth that is dedicated to just your website. Statistically, visitors will quickly leave a site if the load time was long. Dedicated servers allow quick delivery of web pages, which increases the probability of keeping web site visitors on a site that may convert them to paying customers. Furthermore, quick loading pages enhance the company's image and may encourage existing customers to refer your web-based services to others.
What is the best application of a dedicated web hosting service provider? Utility of a dedicated server environment is best suited to those with a working knowledge of server operating systems and those who don't mind troubleshooting problems which may arise.
Server administrators must be able to apply kernel upgrades, service packs, and software patches, as well as provide ample security, monitor traffic, update server applications, balance server loads, and configure email, FTP, and DNS services.
In exchange for competency in the above functions, the best uses for a dedicated web server environment would be:
- Mission-critical sites requiring custom server management and software implementation.
- Dedicated hosting resellers, web developers and designers who need greater flexibility, reliability and security for their clients.
- Backbones of corporate intranets.
- Robust and dependable servers for streaming media, online gaming, and e-mail or chat applications.
- Complex application sites with high traffic and secure information such as ecommerce, database, and multimedia sites.
- Enterprise-level web sites.
- Web sites which may have content restrictions if hosted elsewhere (e.g. adult targeted sites).
More Web Hosting How-Tos Articles
More By Rodel Garcia