E-store Hosting: Free Options for Beginners - Free E-stores: the Good and the Bad
(Page 2 of 4 )
The benefits of choosing a free e-store
1. You can test out your merchandise in a no-cost form. Only the investment of a little of your time is needed to give e-retailing a try.
2. You won't have to hire a developer since freebie options will usually be set up with templates.
3. You will not have to buy a hosting package or upgrade your website to start the shop.
4. You will have a community of other e-retailers from which to get help.
5. Depending on your choice of sites, you may get help indexing your products or store in the search engine.
Of course, for every good side there is a bad one. Before you make a decision you should be aware of those potential negatives.
The detriments of choosing a free e-store
1. You may be limited in the number of products that you can list.
2. You may have to limit your customers' shipping options.
3. You will lose a cut of each of your sales to the site that hosts your store.
4. You will have limited choices in customizing the look and feel of your e-store.
5. In most cases you will not be able to integrate your store into an existing website or blog.
6. If your store's host is hacked you could lose data, and you have no way of securing the site beyond those protections.
Now you should have an idea as to whether a free service is right for you, or if you need to find a paid option. If, however, you are on the fence try this handy quiz. These questions are true/false.
1. I have a wide range of products that I want to sell to my customers.
2. The color and layout of my store are very important to me, and to my brand.
3. I want or need to be able to integrate my store into an existing site.
If you answered true to any of those three statements, then the paid option would probably be best for you. If you gave three falses, then you are good to go with a free choice.
More Web Hosting Articles Articles
More By Katie Gatto